The Burren Ecotourism Network (B.E.N.) is a group of tourism providers in the Burren Region who have worked together over an extended period to promote the Burren as a premier international ecotourism destination.
What is Ecotourism?
Ecotourism is defined as “responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment and improves the well-being of local people” (The International Ecotourism Society T.I.E.S.). Ecotourism focuses on ecologically and socially responsible, nature-based tourism that fosters environmental appreciation and understanding while contributing to the local economy.
Members of B.E.N. offer visitors opportunities to engage with the protected landscape of the Burren in a manner which is sustainable both in terms of the environment as well as the community. B.E.N. are committed to buying and promoting local produce, conservation and the community, as well as to continuing high standards of sustainability, and offer a range of nature-based experiences. Our shared vision is that providing genuine ecotourism travel experiences in the Burren will ensure the sustainable development of its communities, environment and heritage.
When visiting us, you can expect to gain privileged insights and knowledge about the nature and culture of the Burren. You can also be assured that people involved in providing your holiday have adopted environmentally sustainable practices.
Benefits of Burren Ecotourism
- You will have the opportunity to engage with a protected landscape in a way that is sustainable both for the environment and the local community.
- You can be satisfied that the experience is genuine and authentic.
- You will gain a privileged and intimate insight into the nature and culture of the Burren, engaging directly with local people and heritage.
- The individuals you meet and their local knowledge will guarantee a unique and authentic experience that is truly representative of the Burren way of life, culture and heritage.
- As Burren ecotourism providers collaborate with each other on a number of fronts, visitors can rely on excellent local knowledge of other options in the area and can avail of more than one ecotourism experience if they so wish.
- Sustainable travel to the Burren helps preserve the local economy and the ability of the community to live and thrive in the area.
- The region benefits from B.E.N. conservation activities e.g. clean-ups and liaison with local schools.